Library was like my second home – Simtong, Bingham University best graduate student


Danug Simtong emerged as the overall best graduate of Bingham University in Nasarawa State at the recently held convocation of the institution for the 2014/ 2015 academic session . He had 4. 97 CGPA to lead others . In this interview with UMAR MUHAMMED, he shares his experience on how he did it
How would you describe this feat of being the overall best in your set ?
Actually the best is being chosen by God . So, if God doesn ’ t find someone worthy, that means that person is not worthy . So , I would actually say it is because of God I achieved this feat.
Was it something you really planned towards ?
The journey of a thousand miles actually begins with a step and it was something well planned from the beginning . Such feat does not happen by happenstance, so I planned for it and I thank God for making it happen.
What was your performance like when you started ?
When I started , it wasn ’t very easy. It was somehow rough and at a point in time, I became apprehensive of my performance and I knew that I wasn ’t giving my best . After some time, I was reassured by God that it was just the beginning and that I could actually do better. I believed it and worked harder.
Were there challenges you faced throughout?
There were lots of challenges . Sometimes , financial challenges and sometimes challenges from friends who harboured the feeling of being neglected, because at a point in time, I had to leave them and face my studies. So , those were the only challenges . The truth is if you have your eyes on a goal , there are some tough decisions you have to make .
How easy was it to have first class?
I would say it is not quite easy because it requires serious dedication and making some sacrifices . Sometimes , you have to give up your resources, time for pleasure , time to play with friends and of course let go of some other things that could be inimical to your progress . So students should understand that there are tough decisions to be made and it wasn ’t quite easy as such.
What informed your choice to study Computer Science ?
I have always known that with the way things are going , the world is going digital and a lot has changed in that regard . In fact , let’ s not say towards, it is actually in the digital age . So , when I looked into the future , I had to choose a course that is central to that transformation, and that is computer science . That is the future . Technology is the future and that future is now . That was the course I chose from the outset because it has always been on my mind and that was what I was offered .
Was there anything about your growing up that attracted you to the course?
When growing up, I didn ’t have the opportunity of exploring digital devices or gadgets available at that time. I never had the opportunity of using most of them . When I was much older, I realised that opportunities come only by grace and chances , so I had to take up the opportunity with the little I had to key into it seeing how we can change the world with it .
Have you always had such a brilliant performance in your previous schools?
In my secondary school , I was not quite brilliant , but along the line I became better because secondary school was like boarding school and there were so many challenges involved . There were many challenges that never gave me the opportunity to study hard . But at a point in time, I got committed to God and everything changed .
How easy was it to pass your West African Senior School Certificate Examination and the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination ?
I never failed UTME but I had to retake WASSCE because the first time I took the exam , I didn ’t pass all the subjects. When I took it again, I worked harder and I passed them . That somehow delayed my admission. Also, when I first applied to the Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria in 2010, I wasn ’t offered admission, so I had to wait for another year to apply to another school . By the grace of God, I applied and got admission in 2011.

What was your typical day like as an undergraduate?
My day was always filled up with so much commitment to academic work . Usually, in a day , I barely slept for more than four hours because success in academics requires serious commitment. On week days, I used to study for about seven hours on the average, especially after lectures . Then on weekends , I used to study for more than twelve hours .
Were there times you almost gave up on your target to have first class?
Yes, there were times I almost gave up because I felt discouraged at a time and thought everything was not just worth it . But I got reassured that at the end of the day, it was not about the circumstances surrounding your growing up . It’s about the target and goals. So that was what kept me going and I achieved it .
How would you have felt if you didn’t have first class or emerged as overall best?
I would have felt disturbed and I would have felt that I didn ’t live up to the purpose and expectation of God.
What are the job prospects for people who study this course?
There are so many job prospects. Like I said earlier, the world is moving towards a digital age . There is always an opportunity for a computer science graduate. You can decide to key into the medical field and study health informatics and if you choose pure computer science line, you can decide to be a programmer . There are several opportunities for those in business management aspect. You can decide to study things like business informatics . So there are so many job prospects and it ’s really a nice course . You can ’t miss out if you study computer science .
How often did you visit the library ?
The library was like my home . It was as if I was the librarian , and that was because I used the library very often from the opening time to the closing time.
Did you have time for social activities or it was always about your books ?
Social activities came at a later time. When I was a new student, it was strictly about reading and serving God. But I lightened up a bit when I was in my fourth year, and that was when I knew I was already in a comfort zone . There is time for everything .
Some people feel being in a relationship is a distraction . Were you in any?
Yes, I was in a relationship in school . Personally, I don’ t see being in a relationship as a distraction because if you have an understanding with your partner, it would be normal . It won ’t be a distraction because you know how much time to give the person and when you are not available, the person would understand .
There are some restrictions in private universities that don ’t exist in public schools . Did you miss such freedom ?
I would say I never missed anything in public schools because Bingham University was just the best place to study for anybody with the mindset for studies. You won’ t see restrictions when it comes to Bingham University . It was practically the best .
Were there things you did differently from others to have first class and excellent result?
Like I said, it is all about the grace of God and what I did was just propelled by God’s grace . It is not something that can just be explained by humans . Only God ’s grace could have done it .
Were you also reading when you were on holidays ?
Yes, I read all the time even on holidays. Sometimes on Christmas Day and New Year, I spent time reading and most of my activities were about how to meet my goals. And of course, that was usually a time for reflection.
Were there times your parents rewarded you for your performance ?
Yes, my parents always rewarded me whenever I performed brilliantly. I won ’t say the expectation spurred me into action, but there was also the need to justify their expectation and the much they were doing . I’m glad I made them proud eventually .
What was your reading pattern ?
I never had any particular time for studying, so I studied virtually anytime I had the chance .
In your view, why do students fail?
Students fail because of lack of commitment, peer influence and not having the right association , like moving with bad friends.
Were there people who saw you as too serious with your academics ?
A lot of them saw me as being too serious with my academics. Some approached me and told me , some said it from the distance and made reference to me , but overall , such things become a plus if you have something to show for it at the end of the day.
What were your most memorable moments?
My most memorable moment was when I was called upon as the best graduating student. I felt really fulfilled and I was extremely happy . On the other hand , my most embarrassing moment was a time my parents cautioned me for not getting the best results . But I later took it as a challenge .
Are you troubled with the rate of unemployment in the country?
I would say no. I’ m not troubled because everything works together for good for them that love God. There is nothing to worry about . However, I hope things would get better.
What are your aspirations ?
I aspire to be the best in everything I do and whatever I touch I aspire to see it work and be successful.
Where would you like to work ?
I would like to work in a school environment because that is where great minds are being produced. Beyond that , it keeps you updated because you have to keep studying and updating yourself .
What is your advice to students ?
I would advise students to keep working hard , keep looking up to God and trusting him for everything they put their hands on. And they should know that the sky is not just the limit but a propeller for us to reach the galaxy and be the stars we are meant to be .
Copyright PUNCH.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vote but be bright

Do you Value Prof. Wole Soyinka?

Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks